0verlook Mountain in Woodstock New York, may well be one of the most important and sacred mountains in our region, if not all the northeast. Since the mountain has entered human consciousness many thousands of years ago, it has served people in innumerable ways and has attained high status, notoriety and recognition not just in the local community, but worldwide.
The mountain acts as a major gateway to the nearly one million acre Catskill Forest Preserve, offering the closest Catskill Mountain summit trailhead to the New York City metropolitan area. Overlook Mountain is also the center of Tibetan Buddhism in North America and was recognized as a sacred site by the Iroquois Confederacy at the Council at Onondaga in 1979.
It's time Overlook Mountain is honored and protected in a way that reflects its unique status and the immense contribution the mountain has made to humanity. The Overlook Mountain Center (OMC), through promoting cultural history, environment awareness, and knowledge through collaboration, will act as a permanent human reflection of the mountain, honoring Overlook; the mountain that has given so much, to so many, in so many ways, for so long.
OMC will create programming, exhibits and tours that celebrate all aspects of Overlook Mountain, its' past, present and future.
Despite its historical importance and beauty, two of the last remaining large land parcels on Overlook Mountain are being threatened by real estate development. Time is of the essence and we must act now, to help save this land!Read the OMC Proposal
OMC exists to promote awareness and understanding of the relationship between Overlook Mountain, its environment and history and the human population that has encountered the mountain throughout time. OMC will create programming, exhibits and tours that celebrate all aspects of Overlook Mountain, its' past, present and future.
- Purchase and protect 82+ acres on Overlook Mountain to create a permanent conservation easement, increasing public access and creating a new link through Lewis Hollow and California Quarry, to the surrounding Catskill Mountain Forest Preserve and Overlook Mountain Wilderness Area.
- List the Lewis Hollow Properties on the National Register. This unique, one-of-a-kind property was historian Alf Evers backyard. The flora and fauna, along with the mysterious man-made stone constructions, have been the source of study for not only historians, but ecologists, biologists and archaeological researchers as well.
- Construct a self-guided interpretive trail that will lead visitors through the property, highlighting and explaining the site features and artifacts.
- Construct a 3500 Sq/ft, Rustic Post & Beam Interpretive Center featuring sustainable energy systems. The proposed building with have a classroom, a kitchen, a central meeting hall and bathrooms.
- Create permanent, multimedia exhibits for early industry, tanning, timber, bluestone and tourism and the mysteries of Overlook.
- Create outdoor, experiential education programs.
- Organize lectures and workshops on culture, environment and knowledge.
- Organize interpretive tours of the mountain.